Thursday, May 13, 2010

Final Presentation


My blog on the “Legacy Left Behind by Greek Mythology” provided me with the opportunity to learn things about a new topic in multiple ways. The book that I read for this project, Heroes, Gods, and Monsters of the Greek Myths by Bernard Evslin, was certainly beneficial to me because it exposed me to many of the different stories of Greek Mythology. This book also gave me more of an interest for Greek Mythology and helped me understand the connections from my research that were made between society today and Greek Mythology. Another enjoyable and key factor of this blog project was the interview that I had the privilege of doing with Professor Shannon Rogers Flynt from Samford University. It was neat to personally hear someone else’s testimony on how they believed society is affected by Greek Mythology and on how they had a passion for Greek Mythology as well. Over all, I think that the most interesting thing that I learned through this project was that Greek Mythology is very significant in the study of Psychology. Sigmund Freud even borrowed many of his ideas from Greek mythology for developing his theories on human psychosexual development. I honestly never would have thought that Greek Mythology would have had a psychological affect on society. I had no idea!

I have to say, I have learned quite a lot from this project. I’ve learned that Greek mythology has had an affect on many things such as, literature, art, theatrics, psychology, an understanding of nature, diplomacy, and advertising. All of the research that I’ve done on this topic un-doubtfully confirmed my belief of Greek Mythology to begin with. Greek Mythology has indeed had a large affect on society and has had part in the evolution of society and how it is today. Article after article that I have read, all have agreed with this very thought and with all of the proof to back it up, how could anyone question it? This is the exact reason as to why I side with this statement.

I believe that I have fulfilled my project to the best of my abilities at the time that it was done. However, if I could go back I would do some kind of hands on research. For instance, I would have really enjoyed going to some kind of Greek museum and seeing first hand the beauty of the art configured by Greeks themselves and evolutionized by the people who have felt influenced by them. I regret not being able to do something like that, but even though I won’t be doing this project anymore, I am still interested in going to some kind of museum like that or doing something else that exposes more of Greek culture and Greek mythology to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment