Thursday, May 6, 2010

Interview with Professor Flynt




I did my interview with Professor Shannon Rogers Flynt from Samford University. After constant struggles to find a point in time where we could both talk with one another we finally established that we would simply just have to talk over phone instead. So, we introduced our selves to one another and each shared little about our selves before the conversation was to take off. Despite my fear, she was actually a very nice woman. Our conversation was pretty fluid and was a constant without any awkward pauses or silences, thank goodness. When the conversation was coming to a close, she thanked me for asking her to do my interview and I thanked her for accepting my invitation.

My first topic of discussion was about her of course. I asked her what had made her decide to be a professor in the course that she teaches and she told me that she has just always had a passion for the arts and especially took interest in the arts of Western Europe. After that conversation had concluded, I asked her what story of Greek Mythology or Greek decent did she get the most reaction from her students. She replied that the students most enjoyed the story of the creation of the Earth. She said that she thinks that they take interest in that story most because it’s a different view compared to what the usual outlook on how the world began. Next, I asked her if she thought that our society of today had been influenced by Greek Mythology and in what specific areas. She agreed that it has definitely had an influence on our society and how it’s so funny that many people don’t ever realize it. She kept explaining how is in everything like advertisements, holidays (Valentines Day), arts (literature, theatre and art work), words, phrases, names, sports, and even moral and physiological developments. I then asked her why she thought that Greek Mythology had influenced our society so much and she responded that it almost had a slow pandemic forming kind of way about it. It’s something that captured the imaginations of many in one’s culture and then slowly began to be a fascination of others to where it got to the point where everyone knew it and used it with all of its influences. After that was all said, I asked her what her favorite work of art depicting a character or story of Greek Mythology and why. She answered that she particularly likes sculptures of Atlas because she feels that at some point, everyone feels as if they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. Lastly, I asked her what story in Greek Mythology has the most significance to her and why. Her answer was the story Orpheus and the significance of it to her was the depth of the hero’s passion. Orpheus is willing to go through hell for his love but is ultimately unable to save her and is destroyed by his grief. This kind of passion is moving and beautiful and she believes that there should be more of it in the world. Finally, we concluded our phone conversation and said our good byes. I have to say, I really did enjoy talking with her. It was nice to talk to someone about Greek Mythology who was passionate about it, just like me.

1 comment:

  1. Great job. Just add an MLA citation for a personal interview. 75/80

    ReplyDelete